On the island of Kua'kua - Day 1 (Thread Closed)

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: On the island of Kua'kua - Day 1 (Thread Closed)

Post by Solitair on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 pm

The brothers all looked at the slip of paper as they walked out of the tent. It didn't take long for them to process this information, though it did take them a while to find Socks and their bags again.

By the time they got back, Socks had already attracted two more people to talk to. Three if they counted the commander from the tent, reprimanding them for unauthorized construction of shock poles. That was out, and jogging around the training grounds was in.

The brothers walked off to the edge of the grounds and started running in a clockwise direction. When they caught up to Socks, they slowed down to match her pace. "Well, that didn't go as planned, did it?" Alec asked her, his voice uneven from the hard breathing exercise necessitated.

Niko had noticed the raccoon that Socks had decided to talk to and gave him a little smile. "Hey, what's up? I'm Niko." He gave the raccoon a friendly pat on the shoulder. Hopefully he didn't touch the poor guy too hard. That happened before and he was trying to control his own strength.
Solitair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrihop on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Sunny smiled and shook Angus' hand gently while she had it, "Good to know. It's nice to meet you, Angus."

She glanced back at the officers' tent and flicked an ear, before nodding softly, "I imagine it's best to get clearance from the officers before doing anything really major. I just couldn't resist checking out these big jungle trees... back home we have more like oaks, cherry trees, and things like that."

She chuckled to herself, fluffy tail brushing the ground, "I'm sure I'll have lots of chances to climb the trees on the islands. I prefer being in a tree to on the ground sometimes."

After a moment, she tilted her head back up at Angus, "So how are you settling in? I'm still getting the feel of the camp, just came in today."
Merrihop
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KeirStryker95 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Keir walked back towards his assigned tent and set his bags down. He looked up to see the brothers and Socks, along with a few others running around the grounds.

"Oh dear ... I guess I will have to keep my curiosity in check so as to keep myself out of trouble ..." he thought to himself. He looked back around the camp and noticed a brown bear and a marten talking, the marten sitting on a tree branch swinging their legs happily. He walked over and greeted himself.

"Goo' day," he called. "My name's Keir Mahlonne. I noticed you all together and thought I would try to make some friends," he smiled nervously. "I noticed you come out of the Officer's Tent and thought y'all might be new recruits like I am ..." He extended his hand in greeting, still somewhat shy.
KeirStryker95

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/hawkhunter35/

Back to top Go down

Post by tobi3B on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:40 pm

" Me too, I just spotted you in the tree when I walked the ground getting to know my way around here. It´s all so new and surreal. I just hope that I can do something good here and earn my staying."
He rubs his neck "I hope I find some nice new friends here. Right now it´s all a bit overwhelming."
He looks down at himself and plucks a bit on his clothes" and I still need to get my uniform" he looks at Sunny "and it looks like you need yours too. Care for a little walk and talk while we get them ?"
tobi3B

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tobi3b/

Back to top Go down

Post by tobi3B on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 pm

He looks at the extented hand and shakes it happily " Name´s Angus O'Brown and this is Sunny. Yes we are new around here and try to get our bearings." he smiles at Keir.
tobi3B

Back to top Go down

Post by KeirStryker95 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:53 pm

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Keir replies, bowing slightly. I overheard that you two are about to go find or receive your uniforms. Care if tag along?" he smiles a little.
KeirStryker95

Back to top Go down

Post by tobi3B on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 pm

He looks at Sunny "sure why not "
tobi3B

Back to top Go down

Post by Secateur on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Eddie was sitting silently in thoughts after an officer with a cane made people get a move on. He noticed that a sphinx had joined the line, so he rose to his feet, and shook Garran's hand. "Hi I'm Eddie. Nice to meet you too."
"Say, you wouldn't happen to be new here too? The officers don't seem to want to be kept waiting, so staying in line will keep us ... eh ... out of trouble. But, excuse me, are you bleeding? Or is that bile? Anyway, are you feeling okay? Do you need to see a medic? I can let the officers know you were here, it's very likely they'd understand, are you sure you're feeling okay?
Secateur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KeirStryker95 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 pm

"Great!" he grins and puts his hat back on his head, using it to cast a shadow across his strange markings. "I'm quite excited to learn about this here island!" He steps up onto Angus' left side watching him and the pretty fox.
KeirStryker95

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:17 pm

“Eddie. Good. And no, that’s not bile or anything, is just acid. Don’t worry.”
Garran lifted the metallic arm to show better. “See, the battery appears to be leaking. Not a major issue, I overcame bigger problems. I should only find my tent and a mechanic.”
The gears flipped when he left the arm, which remained swinging for a few seconds. “The only issue is the smell”.

Garran emulated Eddie and sat on his bag. “So, how do you feel of being here?”
TheSphinx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akkarri on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Lexaniri seemed surprised when Shard left but shrugged it off as she packed her equipment and the basket of fish up.  Knowing It was growing near time for when the cooks started, it would be the best time to approach them with the fresh fish.  She didn’t completely understand all that these uniformed individuals did at times, especially as her differences made it where she would stay away from the villages at times, due to some level of self-consciousness.  At least the people she dealt with didn’t make her feel that way and it felt good to not be necessarily in such a hurry to conduct her business and leave.  But it wasn’t like she was completely disinterested in what these people were doing her, or what brought them to dress in the same colors.  In fact it actually did make her curious, and she had gathered some information about those who were here and what they were doing, well beyond just what her eyes and ears would pick up.  One thought she had though was on the uniforms.  She almost thought they would seem rather restrictive to her, or at least they appeared that they could be, considering her clothing was obviously made with durability, agility, and freedom of movement in mind.

However on her way up the camp with her catch was interrupted as a man with a cane approached her and pressed her to go into a tent she hadn’t bothered to approach before.  Inside the tent, standing with shard and the two others, she was that much more of a misfit than her apparent irregularities.  The others, including their superiors there in the colors of their uniforms, and she herself in bare paws, earthen colored cloths and leathers, as well as a basket of fish, pack of various gear, bow slung across her back, and a staff in the hand opposite of the basket.  She didn’t have the same air as the others either, as her stance was more relaxed, though labored with her gear as she quirked an eyebrow to Darius’ words, as though asking silently, “I’m not included in that am I?  I’m not a uniform.”  But ultimately she remained silent for the moment, her eyes gauging him and the others with slow calculation, obviously use to some level of trade, and some level of hunters cunning.

She eventually responded, “The cooks and I have had a… working agreement so far, with what I bring to them, beyond what I need myself.  Overall they seem grateful for not having to obtain it themselves or from elsewhere.  But you make this sound as though I’ve been conscripted,” she said slowly and methodically, pausing on the last word for a moment, as though looking to gauge a reaction from this commander as she scratched a little at the edge of the leather at her left shoulder.  She drew in a slow deep breath, “However you’re lucky I am somewhat curious about this group who doesn’t seem to glance twice at a misfit like myself,” she would move to unshoulder her bow, hand made by the looks of it and the grain of the wood.  In short order she had it leaning over against a pole of the tent, along with her staff, pack and the basket.  But then she reached around behind her back looked as though she was pulling at some string, and soon produced a pair of knives in their sheaths, one with a thicker heavier blade, and one that was longer and narrower, almost as though both were purpose built.  “I hope nothing goes missing.  Where I’m from your tools are the difference between seeing another day and not.”

As Darius spoke to the other two, she rolled her shoulders and head a little, unceremoniously as she stretched and loosened muscles that tightened while carrying such gear.  She grimaced a little at the instructions, but said little.  The best way to find out about another was to walk in their pawprints after all.  She shifted her stance as the others moved to leave the tent, limbering up a little before leaving without a word as her eyes scanned over the two superiors faces for a moment with her golden eyes, and stepped out into the daylight.  It could be seen by some that someone who was used to living and making a living outdoors especially in the jungle brush, that she probably had all the stamina to deal with such a run, though her thin tall build probably helped with the speed.  She overall would start to run and move next to Shard and the others and ask, “So… what would this be considered… exercise?  Punishment?” she would ask almost half jokingly, but it was clear that she still didn’t understand all of what they were doing.  For her this was like the concept of exercise and going to the gym to someone who works hard physical labor on a farm, about as clear as mud to her.
Akkarri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanditRingtail on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 pm

And things had been going so well.  Devon should've been watching for the other boot.  It had been awkward when the guy with the artificial arm had sauntered up and interrupted, but he at least knew what they were working on, and Devon had new ideas for traps and security based upon the tazer design.  No doubt some of the guards would be using those, though he hadn't seen any firearms yet.  Or much of anything lethal.  But before his mind could ponder it, he ended up in the Officers tent getting his first real chewing out.  A mild one, as they went, but only because the General (he was a General, right? he hadn't memorized the uniforms yet) chose speed over intensity.  Maybe it was because he really was in pain, but Devon was not a doctor or medic, and he wasn't about to ask personal questions of his superiors.  So, he found himself jogging around the camp, trying to keep a moderate pace to balance speed and his lack of fitness.  Even if you weren't overweight, you had to get used to running before you could stop being winded.

At least Socks was there to keep him company, and she was kind enough not to outpace him, at least not if she could.  He was about to tell her his name when a familiar voice spoke up, followed by another one and a pat on the back that made him stumble.  Great.  Just great.  The "triplets" were back.  Devon kept his eyes ahead and his expression as neutral as possible.  Don't make eye contact, don't give him... them... a reason, don't protest.  Just weather it until he's... they're... gone and things can go back to normal.

"Fine."  He was going to remain silent, but he figured Socks at least deserved to know who she was being punished with.  "Devon.  My... name is Devon."

Ye gods, why couldn't he just have some good luck for once?

Last edited by BanditRingtail on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

BanditRingtail

View user profile https://www.furaffinity.net/user/banditringtail/

Back to top Go down

Post by Secateur on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm

"Oh, wow, it's mechanic, wow, hahahaha," Eddie said. He briefly motioned towards Garran's arm, before remembering that it's wise to keep acid away from your arm, for most people, that is. A bit taken aback by the arm, he just looked at it for a while, before saying with a grin: "Oh, it's great being here." "I've applied for the military branch, primarily, but I'm not picky. I can do base operations, if that's what needed." Eddie shifted into a more relaxing position. "You then? Your arm looks straight out of the research branch, that's for sure." A while later he smiled and added: "You know, it's probably best if you get that arm fixed, so why not go before me. I can wait, I'm not in a hurry".
Secateur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Darius scowled at Lex. "Kua'kua is a camp for all of those who wish to serve Isla Aukate or the Overlord Directly. You are here, ergo you will do what I tell you and yes what I say goes. I'll be having a word with the cooks over that. We have fishermen that supply our fish. We can't be getting our meals from untrusted sources, can we?" He made her pause before she went to run, barring her way with his cane.

"I am a military commander, as you have surmised, and for the next week I am in charge of this tiny island and its camp of Aukate native hopefuls. If you would prefer not to be apart of that I can assure you we will find use for you. That said, if this isn't what you signed up for you probably shouldn't have gotten in the boat that took you out here. You signed the paperwork, you, like everyone here, was sent here. Sent here because you wanted to be here. So... why don't we get on better footing." He nudged her back inside the tent and closed the flap.

"You will respect me and respect my position on this island, whether you are military or not, I decide who stays here and who gets to leave. If you are not military, as I said, you will be placed in a more apropos position." He pulled out her file and set it down on his desk. "Why don't we put your penchant for fishing to good use. I want you to go down to the docks near the mess hall and talk with the other fisherman about an actual fishing rod. Shooting fish with bow and arrow while, rather conducive for target practice is less practical for actually eating the fish. Muddles the meat you see." He took her weapons and placed them safely in a trunk behind his desk. "The overlord also limits the useage of certain weaponry on her island. I will have to clear it with her if you want these back. Her non-lethal policy which I'm somewhat certain you've heard of." He sat back down in his chair. "Go catch up with the others running laps and then after you've checked in with your time, go visit the docks, Dismissed!"

He pulled the flap open for her with his cane and beconed the bat within.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://aukate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shard Loren on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 pm

"Well" Shard said keeping up a decent pace "This is...well it's kind of Both exercise and Punishment." As the group approached the 1st quarter mark of the first lap Shard thought back to his early lessons from his father about building Stamina and how to pace himself when it came to runs like this. However he also knew he and the others were being timed so he put a bit more effort. He called to the group, "We need to pace ourselves, don't exhaust yourselves early on."
Shard Loren

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KRancourt on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:01 pm

The trip across the channel from Aukate to Kua'kua was pleasantly uneventful; the seas were quiet, the sun was warm, and the quoll on board the Imperial supply-vessel leaned on the rail, enjoying the ride. Her day's assignment had included both, "Supply delivery to Kua'kua," and "Annual review - defense training," so she'd reported for her duty-shift at the base's dock to inventory the shipment headed to the boot-camp outpost.

She eyed the traffic at Kua'kua's dock, noting the presence of a few civilian vessels parked amidst the Imperial transports. Her ship shook and rumbled as the engines reversed, slowing their entrance as the pilot guided them into a slip. A few officers disembarked quickly and headed into the camp to see to their business, while the quoll headed to the fore to supervise the unloading of the supply crates. Dry goods for the mess-tent, check. Medical stores for the doctors, check. Uniforms for the new recruits, check. Tailoring would be available later, but the basic sizes would be on hand for issue. She marked off each box as the ship's crew offloaded it, signing the ship's manifest and transmitting it back to Base Ops for confirmation.

(Okay, one item off of my to-do list. One to go,) O o . she thought, bringing up her defense-training assignment on her tablet before heading into the encampment herself.

She arrived in the camp in time to see several recruits scurry off and to hear General Steele declare, "And that goes for anyone else out here that isn't in this line in the next five minutes. I don't want to be here all day. Snap to it!" Without a moment's hesitation, she lined up the queue before the General's tent. As pleasant as the weather was, she felt no desire to run laps today. Her father would scoff at her; every day was a good day for running, to his mind.

The tent-flap opened, pulled back by a cane's head, and the recruit before her was beckoned in. She took the opportunity to re-activate her tablet, making sure her assignment was on the first screen for the General's review. While the Empire was very efficient in that regard, she had always been one to have her documents in order on demand.

KRancourt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akkarri on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Lexaniri would pause as Darius spoke. “You’re right, considering the security of you and your troops.” She would say, looking over his cane barring her way. She stepped back and turned back towards Darius and his desk. He waited and listened to him speak, standing to attention, but it was apparent she wasn’t as familiar with military protocol or how to stand at attention.

“I don’t suppose there is any reason why we cannot get along better. I do not have a problem with showing you respect, but I am not as acquainted with the military protocol, nor have been given any form of uniform, unlike some of these others.” she would say respectfully. She would shift a bit considering his words about fishing. “I can sympathize with the bow fishing, but I find it was one way to sharpen one skill while gathering some food. But I’ll see what I can do after the run. Perhaps you’ll find some other uses for my other skills as well,” she said turning to leave.

“And hopefully you and the overlord will understand my tools. The bow was made by my father,” she said as she stepped out of the tent and went for her run, working to catch up with the others. Her build could possibly help her move quickly, but we’d have to see what the time would end up like.
Akkarri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrihop on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:35 am

Sunny had opened her mouth to respond to Angus' suggestion that they find out about their uniforms, but they were approached by a wolf and she turned to smile at him in greeting. Letting the two speak for a moment, she followed for a few paces, thinking over the conundrum of the uniforms, "I imagine they'll have somewhere to get fitted around here. They probably didn't know how most of us would be shaped when we came in, or what our proper measurements were..."

Her answer was quick enough to find, when she looked at the tents near the officers' tent. It was easy enough to pick out a tent marked 'Uniforms' nearby. She smiled and glanced at her companions, "I think that may be just the place..."

She waved them to follow her as she trotted forward, eagerly making a bee line for the uniform tent. She hoped she could at least retain her civilian wear for off-time, of course.

Opening the flap in the tent, she peered inside, "Hello? The sign says this is for uniforms?"
Merrihop
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KeirStryker95 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:49 am

Keir noticed Sunny flagging Angus and him down and turned to follow. She seemed to have found just the tent they were looking. It was the same shape and size as the officer's tent, and was marked in big, black, bold letters "Uniforms". Keir tapped Angus' shoulder and motioned at sunny. He caught up to the fox just as she started to enter the tent, calling out to the people inside.
KeirStryker95

Back to top Go down

Post by tobi3B on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 am

He followed Sunny and Keir to the big tent with the Uniform lettering on it´s side.
He peeked over Sunny in the tent as the marten called out to the people in the tent.
tobi3B

Back to top Go down

Post by Secateur on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 am

The officer clearly wanted to see Eddie next. He managed "Uh, err, yessir!" while quickly glancing towards the sphinx, before rising to his feet. He grabbed his bag on the way and entered the tent. He wanted to stand attention, but since he didn't really know how, he just ended up standing fairly straight and orderly. "Edward Nielsen, at your service". "Sir.", he said sincerely, ending the sentence with a big smile. The officer started looking through his papers without saying anything right away. As he seemed to have found the right papers, the bat, still smiling, asked "Orders, sir?"
Secateur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Garran smiled at Eddie when he was called. “Good luck”

He then remained silent for a bit, leaning against the shock pole.
‘I’m not picky’, the bat said.
‘I’m not in a hurry’.
Maybe was his honest face, maybe his quiet behavior, that made Garran think.

That guy is willing to help; even a stranger like me. He actually cares of people. That’s one great gift.

But what about me? Everything I did before, studying, playing with science, it has always been for myself, for my own pleasure. Even working on prosthetics was nothing but a game for me. I never planned to actually help someone with it. The fact that it proved useful was unexpected.
And I’m here with the same goal: having fun.
But is this the right attitude?
I’m going to work with other people, under other people, for other people. They won’t give me a lab and say “Have fun”. And that’s something I didn’t figure before.
I’m stupid.
No, I’m selfish. And I didn’t care before.
What’s my gift? My affinity with technology. What have I done with it that really cares? Almost nothing. Maybe Eddie’s attitude is right. Maybe I should not only show my ability, but share it.

Garran passed his hand on the metallic shoulder.

“Will I be able to help people?” he murmured by himself. He arrived on the island full of self-confidence. Now he was only worried.

Last edited by TheSphinx on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
TheSphinx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Darius eyed the bat and smiled slowly. "Says here in your file you want to join the military proper." He thumbed though the file a bit more and closed it. "In that case you'll be meeting me tomorrow along with Miss Sunday in the training grounds. If you can find her about the camp before tomorrow I suggest you get aquainted." His eyes passed over to Tigermark. "I think we've found your first recruit, don't you think?" Darius paused to glance at the bat's wings, before pulling a slip of paper from the file and handing it to him. "Here's your tent assignment. Tomorrow morning you report to the training grounds. Dismissed!"

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://aukate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigermark on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Tigermark smiled in reply.

"It would seem so, Commander. And a night flier, to boot. Recruit, I'll see you later in your training."
Tigermark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Secateur on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 pm

"Thank you, sirs", Eddie said as he grabbed his bag and exited the tent. As he passed the line he said "Good luck, Garran!" with a grin. After getting a few steps distance from the line, he looked at the tent assignment and tried to memorize it before putting the slip in a pocket. While he didn't know exactly where his tent was, he was sure he could find it soon enough. He didn't know any Miss Sunday, though. By the sound of it, Eddie imagined that she was one of the new people that was before him in line today, but he had no idea which one.

Eddie made sure no one was immidiately near him, and set his bag on the ground. He spread his wings, and with several energetic flaps, he was airborne. He soared a bit more, so that the people below wouldn't need to worry he'd crash into them. He kept himself as stationary as he could, and used the view to see if he could recognize anyone from earlier in the day.

There were a lot of people to see, several Eddie didn't recognize and some that appeared to acclimatized to be new. Soon he saw a group of people that he thought looked familiar, with at least one person that could be a Miss. Making up his mind, he quickly dropped down in the clearing where his bag still stood, with a small thud. He picked up his bag, and walked fast to where he'd last seen the person that might, or might not, be Miss Sunday.
Secateur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top