Isla Aukate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General OOC chat

+15
Rotors91
Technocupcake
Tamara
Solitair
Tigermark
BanditRingtail
KeirStryker95
tobi3B
Akkarri
Garret Silver
Admin
Schemmer
DeanFox
Archeus
Socks the Fox
19 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

General OOC chat Empty General OOC chat

Post by Socks the Fox Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Miss Fox, if this isn't the right place or if you want OOC chit-chat to a minimum please go ahead and do whatever you feel is right.

Anyway, I just wanted a place where we could just chat about the goings-on of the various stories, or just RP stuff in general like tips or quick questions; general stuff important enough to ask or say but not worth an entire thread for.

This is my first real RP, at least where it's not being lead by a bunch of combat-hungry D&D power-gamers (of which I can be at times myself Razz). I've already had quite some fun, and love reading the goings-on of the other people.

I think the hardest part so far is keeping what my character knows and what I know separate, especially minor details like names or other things that are easy to miss that a character doesn't know them. Key example, as of the time I wrote this I personally know Gu Jiao's name, but my character still doesn't (even after their quick conversation). I've been trying to write so that I don't refer to a character by name unless I know it.

I've had to go back and re-read the threads a couple of times to make sure I'm getting details like that right! X3
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

General OOC chat Empty Re: General OOC chat

Post by Archeus Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 pm

100% agree with this post. You took the words right out of my mouth. This is one big learning curve for me.
Archeus
Archeus

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/archeus68/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeanFox Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:44 am

Thirded this is my first time doing anything like this and, I just am glad I'm not the only one going through a learning curve.
DeanFox
DeanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am

I registered here after following Fox's comic. The idea of being part of that world was too strong. But I never expected that roleplaying in a forum that difficult. I mean, I'm not new at RPG, but this is a completely new experience: you have to wait for people, and since we are actually free you must find a way to direct the plot by yourself. Is like writing a book in a few dozen people.
I'm really glad to be here, cause it's really a hard school: it forces me to write, sharpening my abilities, and I'm actually LEARNING the language (learning english at school doesn't prepare you for a real interaction with other people).

Glad not to be the only one.
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Socks the Fox Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Argh, nothing like being this close to doing something you've been trying to do only to have someone post something that bumps it out of reach again X3
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Don't tell me Smile
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Schemmer Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:49 am

Definite learning curve here as well. It's a lot more characters to keep track of than what I usually play. I've been trying referring to others' characters by species if Vince doesn't have their names yet, which seems to be working alright so far. If I do mix that up somehow, provided it remains infrequent, I could attribute it to a bit of rumor-milling... though I'd prefer to avoid that if I can.

Honestly though, I like that there's research involved here - even if it's as simple as looking up Hawaiian wildlife, or what's been established thus far. Elsewhere I've seen a few too many instances of "katana-wielding Japanese teen girl on a 1700s pirate ship off the coast of England" in RPs that are allegedly historically accurate. Yes, that is a real example. So this is refreshing to me. : )

That said, I've determined I need to hammer out Vince's personality a bit more. He's developed enough that he can respond to most things that are likely to be thrown at him at this point, but he's not where I want him to be yet. Working on some of the details - history, relationships with family, additional motivations, stuff like that, and actually getting a short list of personality traits including flaws that I can refer back to.
Schemmer
Schemmer

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/selas/

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:19 pm

There is indeed a crazy amount of research involved and me trying very hard to keep things accurate on all fronts DESPITE the fact it is a fantasyesque setting.

I DO realize that sometimes I'm critical about things that only I know and haven't really told anyone outside of my moderators and officers. (im working on that) things I expect to be common knowledge because i SEE IT in my head but haven't told anyone and then get a little miffed at when people don't see it. I have to stop myself and remind myself that not everyone can see it I have to paint it for them.

Things im working on while trying not to be a psychotic controll freak. I also realize that i'm very quick to make addendums to the rules when I realize there are things I should have accounted for or didn't think of.

If there's anything I can do to help (other than posting more, I know that i need to do that, its been a crazy month for me) please do ask questions, voice concerns, I'm not crazy really. I am here to help if you don't know anything or aren't sure, ASK! C:

Admin
Admin

https://aukate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Archeus Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I love it all. It's sort of geared like afternoon soap opera. You never know what kind of plot twist or curve ball is coming from the producers. Plus the fact that everyone has a certain amount of personnel input reacting to the changes. It's great! And very creative.
Archeus
Archeus

Back to top Go down

Post by DeanFox Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:33 am

It's like my little story I've got it in it's entirety in my head, when I started to put it on paper however I keep leaving things out so, I understand the Idea Overlord.
DeanFox
DeanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Socks the Fox Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:39 am

Oh yeah I have like whole universes in my head, with their own intricate plots and whatnot. Yeah some of them take place in other authors worlds and will never ever happen canonically but it's fun to have those running like little movies in my brain. :3
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Archeus Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:53 am

100% agreed.
Archeus
Archeus

Back to top Go down

Post by DeanFox Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 pm

seconded
DeanFox
DeanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by Schemmer Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 am

The discussion in the roleplay about literature has me wondering - where's the line between plausible science-fantasy and the implausible? I mean like should tech like the bunny ray draw a strong reaction from characters (for reasons other than "omg bunny!"), should elves, should the darnathi and the other species from their home if/when their alien origin comes into play for the new recruits? We have already (I think) established that humans in the Overlord's employ is considered surprising or unusual, as is the employment of a sentient quadruped.
Schemmer
Schemmer

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/selas/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:29 am

That, I think, depends both on your character and on what we will know with time.
Talking about technology, we only know that the Overlord has a really advanced one, even for the islands' standard. The reaction to this depends on your character's past experiences: some wouldn't believe even seeing it working, others (like Archeus) could expect everything and just say "Oh, that's new".
Besides, the line between science/science fiction/utterly impossible must be drawn by Foxena before we can say anything. I think, though, that the bunny-ray can be considered a good deadline for what characters can or cannot know despite their experience.
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Socks the Fox Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Here's how I understand it: in general, if you can see us actually having something in 10 years, the Overlord already has it. The Darnathi are more advanced than the overlord, but are unable to exploit that fact due to limited resources (they did kind of belly flop on in, breaking quite a bit of what they had in the process, based on what I read on the old forum; that could have changed though).

WRT the bunny ray, I seem to remember miss Fox saying it was never meant to be a canon part of the Overlordiverse. The forum move would have been a perfect time to de-canonize it, but Dean kind of brought it back.

Of course, given that Bootcamp is not exactly canon anyway, miss Fox could always say it was some other thing that went wrong that caused his sudden shift of assignment and banishment from R&D; boom, history still preserved in some fashion while the bunny ray is still phased out. But that's entirely up to miss Fox.
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by Garret Silver Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Posing here as Silver simply because I'm too lazy to switch accounts.

Firstly: Humans are very unusual, as the darnathi look like (mostly) anglo/american humans they're even moreso. The humans your character most likely have encountered before meeting Darius are polynesians, we are not genetically compatible with humans so there would be no human/anthro hybridizations.

There is at least one polynesian society/village per island. which makes our "native" human population about 5% or less of the society.

It also means while you might encounter humans before you came to Kuakua it's a rare occurrence so having one, especially an older white male in a position of power is not something you'd have expected to encounter.

Hector is the only elf on the islands. As such it may be difficult for your character to discern whether or not he's human or an actual elf as, as far as you know, they only exist in fantasy.  

While you have access to the internet there are content filters to prevent you from sharing pictures of yourself with the outside world. The islands' computers  run on a different OS than any other computer in existence, ergo games, software, hardware etc. are all in-house. While we can access movies via youtube we may be subject to content filters. We don't have netflix, hulu, etc. Our software doesn't support it. We have little to no access to the human movies outside of youtube.

We do have our own movie studios/ indy game companies.

Hector has a vast library of Human movie industry DVDs and once you are at the lair you can rent a player and a disk to watch whatever tickles your fancy. Beforehand you would not have access to anything not youtube.

About technology: The E-rays are special, while I wanted them to have limited access I will state that Dean did not have my permission to have the Bunny ray present, by the time I noticed what he'd done too many people had reacted to it for me to delete the posts.

For the record the R&D team knows better than to put live weapons on a table for anyone to touch or access. Further it wouldn't have been there. I ask that huge assumptions not be made in regards to available technology without asking me first, privately. It causes me no pleasure to tear your inventions apart and dismantle your ideas.

The E-rays are in essence a fluke of technology that R&D cannot explain how they work, they are the exception, not the rule, and should not be used to gauge the level of our technology. EVER.

Our Technology as current is as such:
It is one step ahead CURRENT of Asian Technological advancements and 2 steps ahead of current American Technological advancements. (i.e. 5 to 10 years down the road respectively).

For your own personal inventions. I will allow new tech to be introduced if it meets the following requirements.:

1. that it cannot be used to read someone's mind/thoughts/emotions.
Sensing brainwaves is fine, we have rudimentary versions of that technology already, but being able to read someone else's mind via any means I consider power playing or godmoding. (and it's really taboo among darnathi society) Don't do it.

2. If you can show me this technology exists already or is in development via science journals, etc. I would like the articles linked to me as proof of this.

3. Is not a weapon that is intended to kill someone. We have shock batons already and they're only lethal if abused (anything can kill with enough force) but its intended purpose is to stun an enemy, not kill them. A bow can be fitted with a pointed arrow and is not permitted because of that.  I AM OPEN TO DISCUSSIONS privately as to what is and isn't allowed. I'm rather easy to get ahold of don't hesitate to chat me up.

What I like to see: inventions designed to make life easier, marketable ideas than can eventually be mass-produced to distribute to a global market. One example of this is a rubber nibbled comb with thick hooked bristles that both brush wet fur out and massage the underlying skin.

What I don't like to see: Weapons.

About Bootcamp: It is, in essence, Cannonical. Which is why I'm being so hamfisted in correcting people NOW so that you're ready for the lair. I can't think of everything so when it comes up I correct it as I see it. This place has been perfect for weeding out and modifying bad habits and behavior. Don't take it personally, I'm here to help you and I'm learning a lot from this as well.

final notes: Fox has only been in power for the last 10 years, before that we had another "overlord" in power with similar goals that Fox inherited. I've yet to work out who she was or what species she was other than "feline" of some description. Fox inherited the previous ruler's Research team and made it better, she also moved the headquarters of the previous government inside the volcano of Isla Aukate. There was a lull in rulership for about 3 years between the previous Ruler's death and Fox coming into power. Working on the how and why, its in development. Be patient with me.
Garret Silver
Garret Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Socks the Fox Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Okay first I want to say posting from my iPhone sucks and is a major pita.

Anyway, I was actually considering bringing up Hector's species in a roundabout way, just Socks pointing out an observation. Maybe if the conversation flows right I still could...

I did notice a bunch of people referring to him as an elf, and was wondering to myself "would they really know that?" I know socks wouldn't.

I rather figured Socks would have had access to the internet while at university. I didn't think about her viewing videos and whatnot it makes sense that with incompatible computers we'd have difficulty with that. text is pretty easy to decode and once you have that just about all the major non-proprietary file formats are described online, enabling us to decode things like JPG, PNG, etc without problem. We can even use that to describe why YouTube and not hulu, hulu is flash whereas YouTube makes their videos available via the HTML5's standard video format.
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Wonderful! That post makes life easier. Thanks for the info.

P.S: can someone give me a link to the old forum mentioned above? Even if is not used anymore, I'd like to discover background and similar. Also to understand better the comic.
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't have a link to it anymore, but alot of information has changed since then, I'll do my best to post things here as I think of them and have one of my mods (or myself) complile a list as things come up.

Admin
Admin

https://aukate.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Akkarri Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:04 am

The old forum was up here: http://overlordfox.freeforums.org/index.php

But as Overlord Fox has said, there has been a lot of changes in the information, and some even among the characters.
Akkarri
Akkarri

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks anyway. I'll have a look with a grain of salt.
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Socks the Fox Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:41 pm

I swear I was going to ask that question I asked in Day 2 before your post miss Fox! I just couldn't because of being at work >.>

Hehe I can already see what Socks would do if she ever found out they were aliens X3
Socks the Fox
Socks the Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by DeanFox Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:18 pm

the post was very help full thank you
DeanFox
DeanFox

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSphinx Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 am

On a side note about the setting...

Discussion with Hector verted a bit on his origins, and I'm not sure how to react. As said above, we should only know about elves in fantasy, so meeting should be quite surprising; but about other worlds? Magic?
I mean, do our characters know about the existence of magic, or is it another thing that should be just "fantasy"?
TheSphinx
TheSphinx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum